[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - The protest - Ararat R8 on Thu 08 Feb 18

The protest - Ararat R8 on Thu 08 Feb 18

Order by Date Ascending

RacePost -- Any Racing topic goes
Page 1 of 1

Original Blog Post:

This must be one of the strangest decisions made in the stewards room and quite frankly I won't be bothered reading the report, if it becomes available.

See the replay of the race for yourself if you haven't seen the race, it is worth it.

Author: another_tipsta
Subject: The protest - Ararat R8 on Thu 08 Feb 18

Time: 8/2/2018 5:46:46 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: tigerrish
Subject: Re: The protest - Ararat R8 on Thu 08 Feb 18

Time: 14/2/2018 9:22:04 PM

Blog Reply:

It's times like this that the stewards show just how archaic their approach to a protest is.

The runner up wasn't close enough and the horse had an opportunity to gain more ground. That's a cop out for making a one dimensional decision.

Simple fact is, from the time the winner started to play pinball with himself to the time the second horse was carted back toward the running rail, the runner up had made up a good 4 lengths. And it is was less than a length from the first horse when he was forced to go 7 or 8 horses back to the rail.

Regardless of each horse's ability, the runner up was making considerable ground until he had his momentum stopped. The rider was then forced to make a quick decision - to keep riding and either stay in the closer margin vicinity and run the real risk of being catapulted over the running rail (remembering the winner was no stranger to hitting the rail) OR, to take hold, lose all momentum and speed, and keep his and his mounts bones intact....

The issue for me and a hell of a lot of others, is that the ground taken from the winner during his first zig zag efforts were not factored in at all. It's fair to say that if the second horse can take advantage of the winners first bout of sea legs to the tune of 4 lengths in the space of 100-150m, why wouldn't you expect it would do the same (or at least similar) over the final 100m, with a clear unimpeded passage.

No surprise really whilst you have someone like Bailey running the show.

Author: maccamax

Time: 11/2/2018 6:24:30 PM

Blog Reply:

The rider of the runner up , took the safety option after the sharp veer outward.
   He was impeded and NO horse deserves to behave like that winner and keep the race.

lol   I'll fill in for Gladys.

Author: gladys

Time: 11/2/2018 5:50:24 PM

Blog Reply:

Gary. Instead of wasting your time pontificating about some no account race at Ararat, you should be assisting those dunderheads, (Loges, Little Helper and L. Rex) come up with the best Aussie bred horse that Winx has beaten. You know, the one or ones that established her greatness.

Author: Gary Still

Time: 11/2/2018 2:49:08 PM

Blog Reply:

I recall several decades ago a horse in Adelaide who won a protest after being chopped off badly in the straight. Most people agreed with the decision. But that horse remained winless for the rest of its career!

The overwhelming majority believe that the Ararat protest should have been upheld. I saw the footage and I completely understand why. In my opinion, the stewards made a very courageous decision to leave the placings as they were.

The runner up was about to be beaten by daylight, until the leader decided to commit hari kari, instead of taking the direct route to the finishing post. The leader caused more problems to itself, than it did to the runnerup.

I do agree that the interference looks shocking. I don't agree with the masses that it was an obvious upheld decision.

But only if Gladys comes onto this thread and declares that I'm wrong, will I know for certain, that I'm right :-)

Author: maccamax

Time: 11/2/2018 1:43:31 PM

Blog Reply:

Exactly Tigerish...        That protest had to be upheld .    I was horrified.

Author: tigerrish

Time: 10/2/2018 3:48:31 PM

Blog Reply:

The fact the stewards felt the need to release a statement detailing the reasoning for the dismissal Is interesting.

This wasn't a group level race or even black type. So why the need to explain if they think they made the right decision.....

The only reason the margin was not less than a length and a half was because the rider of the runner up took the safety option. An option that could well have prevented a fall and caused major carnage behind him.
None of that was taken into account.

When a winner races more than a little erratic so as to cause another rider who is clearly making ground, to change tact and who is then force to question which is the safer passage, then it's clear that the protest should be upheld.

The winner did not allow the runner up a clear path that it was entitled to, within the rules of racing.

Author: another_tipsta

Time: 8/2/2018 9:12:08 PM

Blog Reply:

Oh dear "Stewards felt that during this shift Ardra Storm was clear of Our Wando, which was borne out in the footage"

I am sure the rider of Our Wando also "felt" 'Gee so lucky' as there was indeed time to hit the brake and whatever else controls he had available to avoid that calamity unfolding in front of him. (btw, congratulations for riding and happy for you mate to get out of that ordeal, if you are reading this)

So it seems unless a real carnage occurs the stewards in question are quite satisfied.

Talk about giving the bad name to horse racing.

Author: Gary Still

Time: 8/2/2018 8:29:47 PM

Blog Reply:

Tipsta and Superlayer (R2Win),

It's a decision that could have gone either way. There's no doubting the interference, but I'm comfortable with the decision in that the best horse (by far) won.

The stewards were loathe to reverse the result because of the 1.5 length margin.

And here's the problem. The head on shot reveals that the runner up had clear running in the last 50m, but was ridden quietly to the line instead of being pushed along to reduce the margin. A smaller margin would have made the stewards more willing to reverse the result.

In effect, the jock on the runner up made a bad decision to ease up in the last 50m.

Stewards:
"Stewards considered an objection lodged by rider of the 2nd place getter L. German (Our Wando) against the 1st place getter Ardra Storm (C. Robertson) alleging interference inside the final 200 metres. On the evidence it was established that approaching the 100 metres Ardra Storm shifted out abruptly despite the efforts of its rider across the running of Our Wando. Stewards felt that during this shift Ardra Storm was clear of Our Wando, which was borne out in the footage, in that, Our Wando met with no interference when being crossed by Ardra Storm. Our Wando then shifted out of its own accord which was evidenced from the head on footage which shows Our Wando shifting outwards abruptly whilst inside the racing line of Ardra Storm. Shortly after however Our Wando was carried inwards off its course when racing in restricted room to the inside of Ardra Strom when it then hung inwards over the final 75 metres. However, bearing in mind the winning margin of one and half lengths stewards could not be comfortably satisfied that had the interference not occurred the result would have been affected and therefore dismissed the objection."

The link below shows the race, the interview with the jockey and then the beginning of the program "After the Last" which will show the head on shot. About 3 minutes footage in total.

https://www.racing.com/form/2018-02-08/ararat/race/8/results

Author: racing2win

Time: 8/2/2018 7:35:07 PM

Blog Reply:

Disgraceful

Page 1 of 1

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.